Ok, so the day started off not so good. Actually, it all began last night when Luci began running a fever of 103.6. Then, Luci, you began complaining that your ears hurt. You didn't feel good on the way home from church, but we had had a long day, so I didn't think much about it- just thought you were tired. Well, when you started putting on your pj's, daddy noticed you were burning up with fever. I was up giving you medicine every three hours, and fortunately (Praise the Lord), your fever was gone this morning. But with your ears hurting, I decided to go ahead and take you to the doctor.
Even when you don't feel great, you're always smiling.
So, the doctor said that you were just fine. Your ears looked great, no runny nose, cough or anything else. So that was good news. However, I felt terrible because I kept feeling like you're not having a great fall. We have missed both fall parties that we could have been a part of. CHAT had a Fall Festival, but we couldn't go because the boys have piano lessons. Then, we were invited to a fall party at Haley and Maggie's house, but with the fever, there was no way I thought we should go. And to top it all off, it's supposed to rain Saturday, Halloween day, and that means we may miss the Fall Festival at church (which we've never missed). Anyway, as you can see, I was really having a pity party for myself.
Well, isn't it just like God to take my pity party and turn it in to a great day. We all know the scripture that says, "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." But I just wasn't feeling it today. Then, JD saw a squirrel, and the day changed. You guys immediately grabbed chairs from the kitchen table, and the binoculars, and out to the deck you ran.
I loved it because the rest of you were just as excited as JD. You all were looking for squirrels. You took his passion and made it your own. I love that!!
Well, the fun didn't stop there. Everything settled down a little bit (JD, you didn't kill a squirrel today), and then it was time for piano practice. I love watching you boys play the piano. JD, this is your second year, and Ms. Annette says that you definitely have a gift. You memorize your music almost every week. This was a big week for you because you began using the pedal. That's a very big deal.
You're very focused when you practice.
I love watching those long fingers!
And Jacob, this is your first year. You are doing so well. My favorite thing about you playing is how excited you get when you finally play a piece correctly for the first time.
The other thing that I love about you is that you teach Luci everything you learn. She loves to sit and listen to you play, and then you teach her the song, too. You are such a good big brother. She thinks she's really something because her brother takes the time to be with her. Thank you for that!
Well, to top off the day- it was gorgeous outside today and, for some reason, you all wanted to stay inside. Well, I had a lot to do, so out you went. I even locked the door behind you, because you were really giving me a hard time. You all went on a hike, as you often do, because we have a lot of woods behind our house. You came to the back door, sweating like little puppies, wanting to come back inside. Sorry, I still thought you needed to stay outside today. Well, you showed me. The joy of having four is that you guys get to plan out different things to do. And one thing's for sure, there's no shortage of scheming in this household. I'm sure Jacob was the ring leader, but I heard the outside water come on and then began to hear a lot of screaming. I knew it was time to grab the camera. This is what I saw:
Jacob, you had the waterhose first and you didn't hesitate to use it!
When I got downstairs, you had the waterhose up your shirt, letting the water spray out under your chin!! The water was so very, very cold!
Pure Joy!!
JD was the "lucky" one- he had the turkey fryer lid to use as a shield!
Luci, I hope you don't really get sick, now!
Audrey, even you didn't know what to say- that doesn't happen often. You are very rarely at a loss for words!
You came around, though, and ended up having a blast!
Luci, you decided it was your turn to spray for a little while...
You wanted to try what Jacob had done, but the water was just too cold to put under your shirt!
JD, you never got the waterhose, so you never put that lid down. I think it made you feel better holding it, but it sure didn't keep you from getting wet.
Audrey, I think you ended up having more fun than anybody. You're just glad to be alive- and believe me, your joy and zeal for life are contagious!
Thank you, Lord, for these awesome kids. I'm so glad these are the ones you picked to loan me!
Overall, it was a great day! I love you guys so much!
You all finally dried off and I did unlock the door and let you back in the house. You were in pairs of two in two different places watching "Animal Planet"- your new favorite channel.
I came across a quote the other day from Laura Ingalls Wilder that said, "I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." This couldn't have applied any more than it did today.
After everything settled down, I had to ask the Lord for forgiveness. I had forgotten to see this day as GREAT- if for no other reason, He made it!! What started off as a "pity party" in my mind was turned around quickly- because of you guys. Thank you for putting up with me- of course right now you don't really have a choice. But I know that you love me because of the smiles on your faces. They are just "Pure Joy."
"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."
John 15: 9-12






You are such a naturally gifted writer/blogger! What a great reminder and great times as a family!
ReplyDeleteawesome words as usual...so glad you saw this day He gave as Pure joy those pics are priceless thanks again for sharing and hope yall have uneventfull evening and morning.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! Days at home are some of the greatest days aren't they? Loved reading about your day...so sweet!! Hope Luci is feeling better!!
ReplyDelete