Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Precious in the sight of the Lord...

My sweet angels, this past Sunday, your dad taught a lesson that I couldn't help but share with you.  It brought to mind so many different things. I just had to share some thoughts with you.

First of all, your dad is the most amazing, wonderful, Godly man I have ever met.  He has a passion for God's word unlike anyone-and I mean anyone- I have EVER met.  You can't live in our house and not be affected by it.  He is my Sunday School teacher, and I'm sure you guys will eventually get a chance to hear him teach someday, too.  The Lord has so gifted him to teach the word- I can't even explain it other than to say it is a gift.  He uses that gift every Sunday as he expounds upon God's word in such a different way than I have ever heard it taught before.  He has read the Bible to all of you since you were in the wound.  He prays for you and with you everyday.  He has made such an impression on you all already.  I came across this picture the other day and couldn't help but post it...

JD, this is daddy reading the Bible to you when you were just a little baby...



The lesson he taught was in Psalm 116.  The verse that ended up having such an impact was 116: 15.  It says, "Precious in the sight of the Lord are the death of his saints."

The Bible is full of reasons that we should rejoice when a loved one (who is a believer) dies and goes to be with the Lord.  Of course, our hearts are sad, but we should be glad because that is precious to the Lord.

We talked about how we are but a vapor, but God is eternal.  Eternity is what matters the most, sweet children.  Everything we do in this life on earth, should count for something in eternity.  It's not about getting straight A's or about being the best baseball or basketball player.  It's about eternity and how you can make a difference for the cause of Christ.

We read a lot in 2 Corinthians on Sunday.  Chapter 4 is such a powerful chapter.  Verse 7 says, "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.  We are pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.  We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body."  Verse 13 goes on to say, "I believed, therefore I have spoken. With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and PRESENT US with you in his presence.  Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away,  yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."  (Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.)


Daddy mentioned his grandmother (a.k.a.  Granny) in his lesson.  She passed away when Jacob was five days old.

Granny and Daddy

What a saint she was.  Daddy often says that he could remember waking up during the night and hearing Granny praying; not just for a minute, but for hours.  (Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.)

I also remember my grandmother (a.k.a. Nanny).  What a wonderful, Godly woman she was, too. She went home to be with the Lord when I was five months pregnant with Audrey.

Nanny and Mommy (8 months pregnant with JD)

As much as we miss them on earth, we should be rejoicing because they are with their Heavenly Father.

(Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.)

"Do not forget this one thing, dear friends:  With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 
2 Peter 3: 8-9


"The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.  The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me."  Psalm 116: 5-6


Now, dear children...How should we respond to these words.  What do we do with our lives in response to what he has done for us?    Well, let's look back to 2 Peter for the answer:

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.  The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.  Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be?  You ought to live HOLY and GODLY lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.  That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.  But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." 
2 Peter 3: 10-13


We also need to remember this...

"Since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with Him.  Bear in mind that the Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.  Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  To Him be the glory both now and forever! Amen!  2 Peter 3: 14- 15, 17-18


(Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.)

You all are getting to the age now where you will soon have death around you.  Papaw (Pops' dad) and Nanny (Mimi's mom) are both still alive.  They are your great-grandparents.  You all know them very well.  They are getting up in age and it will not be too very long, before one of them will pass away.  These are the verses that I want you to cling to when death happens.  But more than that, I want you live holy and godly lives so that when tragedy and death happen, you will not be sad, but rather rejoice.  My prayer is that these will be the verses that will come to your minds.

Oh, how sweet it will be to finally meet Jesus face to face!

I know I didn't do daddy's lesson any justice, but I thank the Lord for his Word!  I thank him, too, for giving me a husband with a "fire in his bones" and a passion for God's word.  One day, you all will thank the Lord, too, for the daddy He gave you.  He's one in a million!






2 comments:

  1. awesome awesome awesome ....love it thanks so much for sharing God's word and steve's lesson with me and cant wait for the day when it is our season to be taught again and hear him...i love how you love him and praise your husband....loved the pics too HAPPY THANKSGIVING! let's plan a monday night meal me and you monday after thanksgiving while steve is teaching and i could bring a pizza and we could eat and chat just me and you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kellie this is just beautiful. I just know your love for Steve is making God smile and your children will appreciate that oneday as well!!! You are such a beautiful Godly women...i am so thankful to be getting to know you and so thankful to be reading this blog! That picture of Steve reading the Bible to JD in his highchair is priceless! What a wonderful lesson for us all...Praise GOD that this earth is not all there is! I can't wait for Eternity!!! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete